Kransekaka

December 20, 2013

Kransekaka is a famous Norwegian wedding or celebration cake and happens to be a favorite dessert of my family.  I make it at Christmas and while I don't make it every year, this was the year it would have to be made because tomorrow night we're having our gourmet group over for Christmas dinner.  Our theme is "A Scandinavian Christmas" and we're having the full Julebord, (which means Christmas table) and all the plates and dishes prepared as best I can remember from my Swedish Nana's and Norwegian Papa's Christmas Eve Julebord extravaganza! 

 My husband came home and saw this on the sideboard, and said, 
"Well hon, you've outdone yourself this time!"  Yeah, I guess it is kinda showy.
With leftover dough you can make jam tarts.




But actually, I didn't grow up knowing this dessert, but made it for the first time when I was in my twenties just because I thought it looked so pretty in a magazine.  It's become a family favorite, my son has even asked for it for his birthday.  My recipe is more like a cookie/candy than a cake.  Sweet and crunchy and packed with almonds and lovely with a cup of coffee.

Get the detailed recipe right here on my recipe blog!

I have posted the recipe on my recipe blog, and included all the detailed details including step by step pictures.  It's a bit time-consuming, I'm not going to lie, but the results are magnificent.  With the leftover dough I made scrummy little jam tarts.

Next week I'll share pictures of the table, the house and the party.  xoxo 'til then!

You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. can't wait to see the party pictures Take lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I have never had it, but always admire it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing cake! Can't wait to see your party photos. You really outdid yourself decorating your home for the holidays, it looks so warm and cozy and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your group will undoubtedly be impressed with your baking prowess!!!! This is really pretty! I will have to Google it to get an idea of what it tastes like. Looks kind of like cake, but then again...kind of like a donut...or maybe a sugar cookie? I just know your guests will be SUPER impressed and enjoy every bite! Good goin'!!!

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda